Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Cinnamon Sugar Pinwheel Cookies Recipe

A traditional cookie we make every year, my oldest son Chad's favorite!
Since he was a little boy and now a grown man, I make these especially for him,
 isn't that the fun and spirit of Christmas?
I always place the recipe cards on a pant hanger so the recipes don't get dirty from handling them, works awesome!
My boys Chad and Curt with me 1984

Here's what you need:
First I recommend you heat your oven to 350 degrees.
Make the dough:
1- 3 ounce package of cream cheese
1/2 cup butter ( do not use margarine)
1 egg yolk
1 cup flour

Make the filling:
1/4 cup melted butter this is for brushing the dough
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup finely ground walnuts
Combine in a small bowl the sugar, cinnamon and nuts mix together well. Set aside.
Optional: powdered sugar for garnishing

Mix all together till everything is blended, chill 30 minutes.
Roll out dough on a floured board very thin like a pie crust.

Brush the dough with melted butter, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar nut mixture. Roll up like a jelly roll, slice in 1 inch rounds.  Bake on greased or parchment lined cookie sheet until light brown on the bottom around 12 minutes.
Garnish with powdered sugar after they cool if you like.      



         

                                                     My baby Chad.....   Where did the time go ?
      

15 comments:

Anita at Hungry Couple said...

Sounds to me like your son has great taste in desserts because this looks yummy!

Federica said...

What a sweet mom you are :)
The trick to hang the recipe sheet to a hanger is great! And these cookies are amazing and my favorites too. Bye, have a good day

Belinda said...

All grown up! What a classic cookie!

Greg said...

I need to figure out how to adopt the hanger trick for tall people. Get that recipe up to my eye level. The cookies sound great. We always make monkey bread Christmas morning these would be a good alternative.

Amelia said...

Hi Claudia, your pinwheel cookies look delicious. I love cinnamon, it always taste great in cookies and bread.

Thanks for the hanger ideas, it's very useful. Both your boys look cute and now they are grown up young man, both looking good. :)

Have a nice day ahead.

Alida said...

wonderful and I love your family photos. Times goes by too quickly!
Ciao!

Mellissa Rondinelli said...

Those cookies look yummy and great tip with the pants hanger!

Shia

Kathy said...

Claudia, Time does go by very fast. These cookies look lovely…a great family tradition!

Melanie Starz said...

I will definitely try these, yum!! I love how you personalize your posts with family pics. Can I omit the walnuts and still have a good taste?

Ashley said...

I'm adding these to my baking list. They are like cinnamon rolls but in a cookie form. Love the pants hanger idea! My aunt got me this cookbook holder years ago that I love. It props the book up and has clear plastic over the front so nothing splatters on it.

Vicki Bensinger said...

These sound delicious. I live the combo of cinnamon and cream cheese and swirled together I'm sure they taste fantastic!

Mr. & Mrs. P said...

Love these!! Great idea

Paola Bacci said...

Una ricetta fantastica!!!! Bravissima!!!!

Chef Dennis said...

those are best looking sugar cookies I've ever seen!

Lynn - A Foodie and Her Family and Crafty Lynn said...

I recently found a blog that is copying my entries word for word and all my pictures. I am trying to notify other bloggers that he is copying. Would you please email me at lynn tabor@gmail.com (one word no spaces) and I can give you more information. I have already reported at least 25 of my entries and two other blog owners.